Saturday, June 7, 2008

GAME 4: Mariners at Red Sox at Fenway Park

So, the day began with what I'll call a series of unfortunate events.

As I got to the commuter lot to ride the train into town, I was unplugging my electronics to hide them in the trunk. As I unplugged one of those things out of the cigarette lighter, the tip of it totally came apart, with several tiny parts scattering throughout the car. Great. So, I get all of them but one, which settled somewhere underneath the passenger seat.

So here I am, laying on the driver's seat, legs dangling out of the car, patting underneath the passenger seat for this little spring, and all of a sudden I turn my knee the wrong way & my right knee-cap comes out of its track. It popped right back in, but for five minutes I was clutching that knee like someone had beat it with a club it hurt so bad.

I've done this before. About ten years ago, playing in my Dad's company golf tournament, I did this same thing to my left knee. That injury was much more severe -- I wasn't walking for about 4 days. In the moment, I thought that my whole day was going to be ruined.

But I gutted it out like a champ!! Paul Pierce ain't got nothin' on me!

Seriously, after about 10 minutes, I realized that I could hobble around like an old Irish man -- somewhat appropriate for a day in Boston, I suppose.

So, I did. Boston has a two-and-a-half mile trail (marked with red bricks or a red painted line) called the "Freedom Trail." I saw some cool things:

  • The Boston Common

  • The State House (that fancy building with the golden-domed top)

  • The "Old" State House

  • The site of the Boston Massacre (at least I think I saw it -- it wasn't clearly marked at all)

  • The Market area (I have no clue why this place was significant for anything. I got me a sweet tea from Starbucks at the Quincy Market. Made me feel REAL historic)

  • Paul Revere's house (Honestly? It was about as impressive as a trash can)

  • The Old North Church (that was cool)

  • And finally ended up at the Bunker Hill Monument (which is actually on Breed's Hill, but whatever...)

Starbucks Logo
Starbucks tea made my knee hurt less
All in all, it was a good way to see Boston, stretch the legs, and experience a little bit of history. I recommend it. You could zoom through it in a couple hours, or take your time & make it an all-day thing. I didn't see everything on the trail -- I skipped stops I wasn't interested in -- but I saw what I wanted to see, and I didn't have to spend a dime. Just followed a red-brick trail.

Then it was time to head to Fenway. Honestly, I didn't know what I would think. I've seen some really impressive stadiums already. And I know that lots of folks say that the old stadiums like Fenway & Wrigley "have character," which is really just a polite way of saying that they're old & falling apart -- like the eye-soar that is Legion Field in Birmingham ("the old gray lady" has seen better days). I've heard plenty of folks state that the old stadiums are way past their prime. So I really didn't know what I would think about Fenway -- whether I'd appreciate the character in the ugliness, or just think it was a dump.

But once I got in, I've gotta say... I was mesmerized. Dad called me on the phone and asked how it was. All I could say was, "Its beautiful. Just beautiful, Dad." Apparently, about ten years ago, Fenway was falling apart. But the current ownership has put a lot of money into it, and it is impressive for a 96 year-old stadium. Its hard to describe, but in a way I felt transported back to 1920 & I was watching baseball in a more idyllic, simple setting. It was like I was experiencing what James Earl Jones described in that scene from Field of Dreams. I just sat in silence & let my eyes soak it all in. It was fantastic.

However, I didn't get to stay long. I purchased a "standing room only" ticket for tonight's game. And between what shape my knee was in, all of the standing, and the below 60's weather, I decided to call it a night after 3 innings. Good thing, since the Red Sox ended up losing 8-0.

BTW, so far, I'm wondering about what kind of "luck" I'm bringing along this way. The Red Sox only two losses this week came when I was at the game. Other than the first Red Sox game I attended (the away game at Baltimore vs. the Orioles), the home teams (that I have rooted for) have lost each game I've attended. Not only that, but two nights ago, I showed up late for the Phillies game to avoid a nasty rain cell. A little after I showed up, and about one inning after I actually made it to my seat, Brett Myers' no-hit bid was broken up in the 7th inning. Tonight's game was the first game the Red Sox have lost at home since May 1st!

So... not sure what to think of that.

On to the tab!

From Thursday

Tolls
I think I may have paid about $25 or $30 in tolls. Shhh-yeah...

Lunch & Dinner
About 10 bucks

Gas
I filled up about $35 worth

Fairfield Inn in Auburn, MA
$53

(BTW, my hotel prices are via Priceline.com. I'd be spending 2 or 3 times more in lodging if I hadn't been using Priceline. It is everything it advertises that it is. I won't take a trip without them anymore)

Friday
Spicy Chicken Sandwich combo at Wendy's
about $6.00

Tolls
$2.60, coming and going

Commuter Parking
$3.75

Subway
$8.00

Starbucks Tea on the Freedom Trail
$2.24

(and if I had given them a twenty-dollar bill, the change would have been $17.76. THAT would have been patriotic...)

Ticket to the Game via StubHub.com
$42.00
+ $4.20 ("StubHub Commission")
+$11.95 ("Shipping/Handling")
=======
$58.15

Dinner at Boston Market
about $7.50

(mmmmmmm ;-D ... hadn't had any since I was in Gainesville)

Advil for my knee
$5.00

Auburn Fairfield Inn
$53

And the Pilgrimage Tab now stands at $1,013.98. Thanks Mom. :)

Tomorrow: Mariners & Red Sox @ Fenway again. This time a 3:55 ET start (LIVE on FOX!), I have a seat, and temperatures should be in the 90's. If I have time, I also wanna go hobble around Hahvahd University. I'm such a nerd that a university is a tourist attraction to me, but oh well...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The history in Boston is amazing! I was mesmerized myself walking around Boston and hearing that I was walking the line Paul Revere road down. So cool!!! Im glad you enjoyed it! Sorry about your knee!!! We did the tour of Fenway and got to go into the players dining room and all over the stadium. The history was amazing!