Wednesday, June 11, 2008

GAME 7: Diamondbacks vs. Mets at Shea Stadium

I attended part of a game at Shea Stadium tonight. I left early when a nasty storm front moved through the NYC area around the 6th inning & caused a delay in the game.

It was pretty crazy. Just a half inning earlier, it was sorta hot & I remember having sighed while looking up at the American flags flapping & remarking to my game buddy, Chris, "I wish we could feel that breeze." All of a sudden, the wind REALLY started whipping around Shea Stadium. Dust from the construction of Citi Field (the Mets new home starting next season) was kicked up everywhere. Trash in the aisles even began to be kicked up & scattered across the field. Some families around us began to scatter for the exits thinking that there was a tornado or something. But we realized that if there was something like that in the area, we surely would have heard from the P.A. guy.

I called my Dad to get a weather update, and that's when Chris & I realized that the game was going to be delayed, it was late already, and we were better off heading toward the exits.

Shea Stadium definitely showed some age. I'm sure that this stadium was a marvel back in the 60's, but its just sort of bland in 2008.

The biggest thing you notice is that Shea Stadium is right in the take-off path of jets from LaGuardia Airport. Every 8-10 minutes, the deafening noise of jumbo jets drowns out any conversation. And Citi Field appears to be more directly in LaGuardia's take-off path than Shea Stadium is. Why didn't they build a dome? I guess it just makes too much sense...

On to the tab!

Gas @ 3.99/gal.
$34.73

Wendy's Lunch (ugh...)
$5.30ish

Crossing George Washington Bridge to Bronx from Jersey
$8.00

Crossing another bridge to get to Queens
$5.00

Crossing back over that bridge to get back to Jersey
$5.00

Two Tickets to Mets Game
$48.50

Parking at Mets Game
$15.00

Dinner at Taco Bell
$6.00ish

The Pilgrimage Tab now stands at $1,613.74

Cleveland Indians tonight. I won't be in a hotel the next two nights, so I may not have internet access or be able to post updates until Friday afternoon.

No comments: